Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR) 2012, known as the “duty to manage”, requires dutyholders – anyone responsible for the maintenance and repair of non-domestic premises – to have an asbestos management plan for their premises, which identifies where there is or might be asbestos or asbestos containing materials (ACMs), to decide the risk of anyone being exposed to asbestos, and to have a procedure to prevent people such as employees and maintenance personnel being exposed.
If you are a dutyholder under Regulation 4, then WES can help you to develop an asbestos management strategy which ensures compliance with CAR and minimises risks to health – in a way that works best for your organisation. It doesn’t have to mean surveying all of your premises right now!
As WES Ltd, we:
- have assisted many organisations with their asbestos management, including United Utilities, Network Rail, Westfield Shopping Towns, Marks and Spencer, Golden Lane Housing, Flintshire County Council, SCA Packaging, and Land Rover
- have carried out investigations following the uncontrolled disturbance of asbestos to determine the likely exposures experienced, the associated risks to health and the root causes of the incident
- have provided expert witness services in relation to poor asbestos surveying, the uncontrolled disturbance of asbestos, and asbestos related disease claims
- have continued to present at asbestos conferences and seminars in the UK and internationally
- have written articles on asbestos for trade journals
Tracey and Martin were co-authors of HSG227 – A comprehensive guide to managing asbestos in premises. Tracey and Martin were also the lead authors of HSG248 – Asbestos: The analysts’ guide for sampling, analysis and clearance procedures and HSG247 – Asbestos: The licensed contractors’ guide, respectively, until they left HSE.
We can provide some or all of the following services:
- audit of current plan, systems & procedures
- design of inspection/survey strategy
- development of complete asbestos management plan
- management of major asbestos removal projects
- training on controlled asbestos removal techniques & safe systems of work for non-licensed operatives
- awareness training for architects, planners, managers and tradespersons etc
WES can also investigate asbestos incidents, carry out retrospective risk assessments and provide reassurance to those who have been exposed.
Visit the HSE’s asbestos web pages for more information on the dangers of asbestos. For a resume of our asbestos experience please click here.